Q: Are there any extra steps I need to take before making changes to my property in the West University Historic District?
A: Yes. If your property is within the West University Historic Preservation Zone (not all of the West University Neighborhood is within the zone) there are review procedures beyond normal City of Tucson Developmental requirements.
»More info about historic district requirements

Q: Does West University Neighborhood Association (WUNA) review or regulate what work I can do on my house?
A: No. WUNA is only a neighborhood association. The City of Tucson (COT) appoints an historic design review board (WUHZAB) to review any changes to historic properties in West University. Historic guidelines are developed at the national, state, county and city levels and these are the guidelines that local historic review boards use for projects in Historic Preservation Zones (HPZ).
»More info about historic district requirements

Q: Where can I find the recommended wood windows for my historic home?
A: See the info we provide here.

Q: What is the Historic Property Tax Program?
A: See the info we provide here

Q: How do I tell if I am getting the historic tax rate?
A: Your property will usually be listed by the Pima County Tax Assessor as historic, typically with an assessment ratio of 5.

Q: Where can I access information about historic properties and districts within the city of Tucson?
A: In West University and across Tucson: Go to City of Tucson Planning & Development Services and scroll down the COT P&D Services page until you see the links to Property Research Online, where you can enter your address to see a history of permits filed for your property, and/ot MapTucson, which is an interactive GIS tool that provides lots more info.
In West University: During research performed for historic designation back in 1980, each home in the West University neighborhood was assessed as to architectural style, date of construction and any other known information. These materials are available at the Arizona Historical Society, with a copy in the WUNA office.

Q: Do I have to be a WUNA board member to be on a committee or to work on a West University Neighborhood Association project?
A: No. Any member of the Neighborhood Association can be on a committee or work on a project.

Q: How do I become a West University Neighborhood Association board member?
A: Any West University Neighborhood Association member may run for any board position at the next election. Just let the current board know you are interested.

Q: Is West University Neighborhood Association a Homeowners’ Association?
A: No. West University Neighborhood Association is a community service organization. It is a volunteer organization that charges a nominal membership fee and raises money through fund raising events. It works to improve the neighborhood and the quality of life in the neighborhood while protecting its historic resources. A homeowners’ association is a corporation set up by a real estate developer to own the common amenities of a neighborhood and to enforce the Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions (CCRs) as determined by the homeowners’ association. They typically charge substantial required membership fees and enforce their CCRs with fines and legal actions.

Q: Is West University Neighborhood Association affiliated with the Trinity Church (since WUNA has an office and holds meetings there)?
A: No. The Trinity Church is community oriented and provides affordable office and meeting space to many community service type organizations.

Bird of Paradise, WUNA FAQs page